Monday, May 31, 2010

Habits of a compulsive eater.

1 - you planned a meal around a binge.  Chips is a biggie for me - when I want chips I usually plan a meal around it - hamburgers, sandwiches, something that GOES with chips.  Then I eat the chips while I'm preparing, put chips with my "meal" and then get seconds while I still have "meal" on my plate.  Then - there's that leftover bag and that gets eaten in the kitchen while everyone else is watching TV and the bag disappears. 
2 - you take the longer way home because you want to finish off "xyz" from the grocery store.  This is for when you buy the king size or large bag.  I can scarf a normal size candy bar in the .5 miles from grocery to home.  But larger than a normal candy bar and I take a route that goes away from home before it goes to home.  And because I haven't committed to what time I'll be home, nobody is the wiser.  Except chocolate breath - that's my 'tell'. 
3 - secret eating: storing food 'hidden' in the house.  This doesn't usually last too long for me - but for foods I can't finish in the car on the way home, they get 'stashed' until I have an opportunity to eat them.  And there's not much else I can think of until they're all gone.  Food has kept me awake at night. 
4 - Justifying the 'sale':  buy 2, get 2 free - I mean, I'm buying one, so all I have to do is buy one more and I get FOUR - I mean, mathmatically, that's pure genius, right?  And I'm all about frugal - and my addicted brain is happy to do that math.  Buy one get one free.  I mean, FREE people - free food has no calories, right? And why are apples never buy one get one free - or bananas - or any fruits or vegetables?  Only chips, sod, and candy.  Or at least it seems like it to me! 
5 - the illusion of control:  I will only have 2 cookies.  Only 2 more.  Ok - one more and then I'm done...hey, wait - who ate all the cookies?  Couldn't have been me, I only had 2...at a time...right? 
6 - it's healthy, so eating a LOT doesn't count.  This is one only an addict understands.  Brocolli is good for you.  2 pounds of broccolli is compulsive eating.  Same for sugar free pudding, watermelon, cucumber, ground turkey, etc. 

I know there's lots more.  What are your "compulsive eating" habits? 

TTFN,
LauraLynne

PS.  most of the way through Day 1.  so far, so good.

2 comments:

Mad Woman said...

But it's cheese. That's healthy right? And if I eat half a block of cheese grated onto my plate of spaghetti, that counts as my dairy portion. Right?


Truthfully, you just listed a bunch of stuff I am STILL struggling with.

JourneyBeyondSurvival said...

If the kids make me mad, or spouse or 'people', I am guaranteed 'feel better' food until I feel better. It doesn't count.

I've been good. I deserve___xyz___

Feeling like a failure means I need a pick me up. Sugar. When I'm tossing creamy fluffy into my abyss, it doesn't matter how deep the hole is. It needs to be filled.