Thursday, September 23, 2010

things I can do now that I couldn't do at 300+ pounds

I wish I could find the list of things I dreamed of doing when I first considered Gastric Bypass.  I'm sure it contained some of the "usual" ones:  cross my legs, fit comfortably at the movies/airplane/behind the steering wheel, get up off the floor gracefully, walk a flight of stairs without stopping, play with my kids, swing in a swing, and a few others I've since forgotten. 

What I didn't realize is all the OTHER things I would be able to do.  This line of thinking is prompted by my husband's question to me tonight.  He asked "how's the blog going - did you tell them about riding motorcycles for 2 full days?!" and then he asked "do you talk about the things you do on a regular basis that you couldn't have done at 300 pounds??"

The answer was no.  I haven't been 300 pounds in about 9 years.  But recently I was 240 pounds.  January.  240 pounds.  It wasn't as bad as 300 - but it wasn't good either. 

So here's my list.  Of things I can do now that I couldn't do at 300 or even 240 pounds:

  • Take a 2 day physically demanding motorcycle class
  • cross my legs - anywhere anytime
  • fit in every chair
  • run
  • run far
  • run long distance
  • sign up for a boot camp without worrying about being embarassed
  • go golfing with work
  • shop without trying clothes on
  • look in a full length mirror and find parts of my body that I can't stop staring at
  • and touching those parts of my body (oh - not that you dirty birds!)
  • believing my husband when he tells me I look hot
  • wearing form fitting clothes
  • bicycling
  • swimming
  • running
  • events with all 3!!
  • racing motorcycles
  • safety gear for motorcycling
  • folding my legs under me in the movie theater
  • lap top ON my lap
  • sexy underclothes NOT from Lane Bryant (while they look sexy, the amount of material involved cancelled sexy out for me)
  • hand me downs from people I admire
  • borrowing clothes when the weather turns unexpectedly
  • jeans that I can wear out of the dryer Every. Single.  Time.
  • Looking forward to doctor appointments instead of dreading "The Lecture"
  • confidence and self esteem

what things do you enjoy at the weight you are now?  What are you looking forward to?  I'm certainly enjoying life to a level I really never dreamed of at 300 pounds.  I'm looking forward to running farther and faster, discovering a whole new list of new things I can do, not letting my weight hold me back from ANYTHING.  That's what I'm looking forward to.  Life is full of hope. 

TTFN,
LauraLynne

3 comments:

RockStarTri said...

The most important one on the list is confidence and self esteem. Well done.

Kelly said...

I see you decided to befriend my blog that I never fill out because I have been too down and out to write there, although I do refer to my blog selection of others daily. I have started and stopped dieting so many times it is unbelievable. I see that you are making excellent progress! What are you doing? I am trying WW for the millionth time, starting over hoping this time will be the time I finally lose that last 50lbs. My highest was 238, now weighing in at 210 lb. Good luck on your journey, I will set a place for your blog in my favs.

Findingfitme said...

excellent list. The crossing legs thing got me too. I thought I just wasn't a leg crosser. Well now that I CAN, I DO.